General Information

The Allen County Auditor’s Office serves as trustee of the County’s unclaimed funds and wages accounts. The Auditor’s Office processes valid claims upon receipt of a notarized claim form. You are able to view the Unclaimed Funds file to determine if you have unclaimed funds.

Examples of the Funds held in the County Unclaimed Funds account are:

  • Vendor payments
  • Child Support Payment
  • Proceeds from Sheriff’s Sales
  • Restitution Payments
  • Jury/Witness Fees

The Allen County Auditor’s Office holds unclaimed moneys for the following agencies: Adult Probation; Clerk of Courts; Coroner; Child Support Enforcement Agency; Public Defender; Domestic/Juvenile Court; Probate Court; Prosecuting Attorney; Sheriff; Treasurer; Juvenile Detention Center; and Title Division. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list.

Also, the Allen County Auditor’s Office does not hold funds from companies in Ohio. The Ohio Department of Commerce, Division of Unclaimed Funds holds these types of funds. Please visit their website for more information on claiming these funds or to search for funds.

Examples of the Funds held in the State Unclaimed Funds account are:

  • Inactive Savings and Checking Accounts
  • Uncashed Checks
  • Undelivered Stock Shares and Uncashed Dividend Checks
  • Uncashed Insurance Benefits
  • Forgotten Rent and Utility Deposits
  • Intangible Safe Deposit Box Contents

A claimant may file a claim without the assistance of a paid professional finder.

Unclaimed Funds Procedures

If you believe you may have unclaimed funds, please write to:

Allen County Auditor
Attn: Unclaimed Funds
301 N. Main St.
Room 106
Lima, OH 45801

Provide your current name and initials, along with any prior names you have used, such as maiden names. If you find accounts belonging to you or someone you know, you have the following options.

1) Print the Claim Form, complete it and return it to us at the above address for
    processing -or-

2) If you are unable to print the form, you can email us at and we will mail a
    claim form to you.

The claim form must be completed, signed and notarized. If there are multiple claims, a form needs to be completed for each dollar amount. Please mail the form(s) to the Auditor’s Office address listed above.

All claims must have the proper proof of claim (See Proof of Claim section below for additional information.)

Once the claim form is received in our office, processing takes approximately 30 business days. Many claims require authorization to pay from the originating agency; if this is the case, it may take a little longer.

Common Questions Regarding Unclaimed Funds

Required for all claims:

  • Driver’s license or State ID.
  • A clear photocopy of the owner’s Social Security card. (Please understand that the Social Security number will be held in the strictest confidence and used only to establish rightful ownership of the unclaimed funds.)

Required for business claims:

  • Documentation which shows the Tax ID number.
  • Documentation proving the individual signing the form is an authorized agent of said business. (Business card or letterhead)

If available, for all claims

  • The original check(s)

First, you must show that the account belonged to the original owner. Second, you must prove that you are the rightful recipient of the funds. You must prove that you are legally entitled to claim these funds for the owner, such as if the owner is incapacitated or deceased. If the owner is incapacitated, proper documentation from the Court to show a guardianship, custodial, or Power of Attorney relationship, and a court order or permission from the guardian or custodian is required. If the original owner is deceased, a copy of the death certificate and letter of authority naming the executor of the estate is required. We will not pay a claim based solely upon a will or death certificate.

If a professional finder is claiming the funds, a Power of Attorney signed by the executor is also required. Please note that the Allen County Auditor’s Office reserves the right to contact the original payee directly to confirm a Power of Attorney.

Interest is not paid on any account.

The Allen County Auditor’s Office does not charge a fee to claim funds. If you have contracted with a professional finder to claim your funds, you may be subject to pay a fee to them according to your contract.

A Notary Public can be found at your local bank, city and county offices, police and sheriff’s departments, and most attorneys. There is a notary available in the Allen County Auditor’s Office Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Once the claim form is received in our office, processing takes approximately 30 business days. Most claims require authorization to pay from the originating agency; therefore it may take a little longer. Sometimes the originating agency requires additional information for the claimant, such as previous addresses of the owners.

A professional finder is someone who is in the business of trying to find the owners of unclaimed funds. You do not have to use a finder to file a claim.

The check is issued in the name of the professional finder and the owner of the funds. The check is then mailed to the professional finder. The Allen County Auditor’s Office does not hire professional finders or any other third party to help locate the owner of unclaimed funds.